Search This Blog

Thursday 24 July 2014

How Bak Chor Mee led to the discovery of the BEST mascara and eyeliner ever

 
Hello! Sorry for the long hiatus. There have been too many distractions recently, like my sudden interest in ipad drawing apps, apartment hunting, GSS shopping, acrylic/ oil painting, hair colour (just to name a few).

Short attention span coupled with time on hand, makes TTW Dug the Dog.
In case you don't remember Dug. Here's Dug from UP. Squirrel!

I go through phases where I obsess excessively over a certain subject/ item. I spend my waking hours (actually sleeping hours too, since I sometimes dream about it) thinking about it, researching about it (if you were to look at my ipad, there would be 20 tabs on the subject matter) until the next obsession comes along, which is usually about 3 days. But I digress..

Anyway, this will be a short post to share with all the ladies out there on a great cosmetic discovery. Because it is so awesome, I need to blog it down before I forget.

As my closer friends will know, I used to crazy about eyeliners and mascaras in my younger days. (My account name in makeupalley was mascarajunkie, that's a bit telling I guess).
Can you blame me though? In the 90s, this was hot -

Ayumi Hamasak, pushing the limits of eye to face ratio.
 
 
And I had slits for eyes.
I needed all the help I could get. I was never seen without eyeliner. Not even when I went for a windsurfing lesson (yes, I only went once). To prep for the lesson, I hunted down the eyeliner which claimed to be the official eye makeup sponsor for the Japanese synchronised swim team.


Post lesson look. Not a good look. I probably caused some near drowning incidents.
I was too ashamed to go for lesson #2.

Needless to say, the eyeliner did not live up to its name, and probably the reason why I can't find a picture of it online anymore. Yes, you deserved to be discontinued, bah!

I tried all the liners from the major beauty brands, but none were impressive. Then I chance upon a Japanese brand, K palette, 24 hours tattoo at Watsons.
Well, they did warn you that it is 24h/1 Day tattoo.


It was amazing!!! But not amazing when it comes to removal. They were not kidding when they proclaim the liner to be a 24 hours tattoo. It left a faint mark despite vigourous rubbing with remover every night. Shh.... That was my beauty secret of getting consistently perfectly lined eyes in the past, every.single.day. - I just followed the 'template' from the day before.
Ok, that was fairly disgusting. Don't judge me ok, not until you've tried removing this damn thing yourself. That was 3 years ago, I think I've managed to remove all remaining traces of it. Hopefully.

Since then, I've moved on to the Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Eyeliner. It does a great job (not quite a 24 hour tattoo) but it removes when you want it to. So I'm pleased.

 

 Current BFF


 This has been my go to brand for a while now. But earlier this week I saw a nice display for Eyeko at Sephora, which triggered a case of the itchy backside (to the Lees in U.S., this is a singlish term. My backside did not actually itch). The deal clincher was when the Sephora advisor told me that it had "moisturizing formula with pro-vitamin B, natural oils, and waxes to prevent breakage and promote growth".  That convinced me to grab the Eyeko Eye Do eyeliner and Eyeko Skinny Brush Mascara and head for the cashier.

Were you impressed that I remember what the advisor said? Heh heh. Ok fine, the description is from Sephora.com.

 
 
New BFFs
 
 
I finally had a chance to try out my new buys yesterday when I went for my art class (story for another day). It did as promised and stay put despite the rest of my face melting under the hot hot sun.
 
Art class Wednesdays also = to yummy lunch Wednesdays. The coffeeshop near my school has great food and I usually stop by to grab lunch before heading home. I went straight for my fave dish, bak chor mee.
 
 
Pic from hungrygowhere. This was not the bak chor mee I've had. This pic is meant to show my non-SG readers what the dish looks like. Also, I know the SG readers also like to see many pictures, so I put pictures.
 
 
The bak chor mee tasted good as usual, but for some strange reason it made me feel very very ill on the MRT on the way home. Well, there was that few pieces of strangely pink meat which I probably shouldn't have eaten.
The moment I got home, I rushed to the loo and puked my guts out. I will spare you the gross details (ok I lied, there is one gross detail which I will share. I think I need to chew my food more thoroughly. The mushroom slice came out looking exactly like how it was before it went in).
As I was washing up, I saw my tear streaked face (very dramatic, I know) in the mirror. And I realised, that my eye make up barely smudged. True story.
*Gasp*.
 
I think I've fallen in love.

No streaks on her face too. She must be using eyeko too. 
 
So that, my friends, was how a bowl of bak chor mee led me to my newfound love.
It was not a beautiful love story. But it had a good ending. Don't be greedy.


P.S. - Style update. Small eyes are in vogue. Finally!!!! I thought this day will never come. Thanks Liu Wen. But that doesn't mean I am ready to forsake the eyeliner.
Yet.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment