Search This Blog

Tuesday 8 July 2014

Hong Kong- May 2014, #1 Much ado about Shopping


*warning* - May contain disturbing images of decadent shopping. Female readers may experience accelerated heartbeat and temporary breathlessness due to excitement.  Male readers may also experience similar discomfort, but this is likely to be stress induced. Reader discretion is advised.


Ok, I lied. I am going to start off with a shopping post after all.

I followed da husband, KW, who was there on a work trip. With time to spare and no one to hold me back.. It was quite jialat (but jialat in a good way).

In my defence, the Hong Kong trip was not supposed to be about shopping. It was supposed to be about exploring Kowloon, hunting down  Chunking Mansions, delicious  tomato, egg, and beef noodles tucked away in a forgotten old building. Ok, and maybe with a wee bit of shopping here and there.

Then hor, I chanced upon the annual Shanghai Tang sale (more on that later). No choice, I had to say bye to my original plans. but you guys understand right? I had no choice.

But before I go on to that, lets cover another good ol' shopping spot Horizon Plaza (details at the end of the post).

Horizon Plaza


 
Exterior (not fancy like outlet shopping in Europe, but still awesome)

Source: Discover Hong Kong website


I first learnt of this place when I travelled to Hong Kong for work in my previous job. Then, my hongkie boss spoke highly of this place (in thick HK accent)
''IT iss da best outlet shhhorppin in Hhong Khong, 好犀利呀! youu girls will go craay-zee" . And we did.

P.s. This boss eventually became head honcho for HK tourism board. So you know that his advice gotta be good.
P.p.s. Yes, he allowed us to shop on a work trip. He was an awesome boss.

With 28 storeys of shopping, it is easy to get lost. KNN, the stores are closing, I spent all my time in these 3 shops. @#$#$!. This is a common refrain you will hear in the lobby at closing timing. Ok, fine, substitute KNN for other swear words, depending on nationality of user.
Do not make that mistake.

#1 - Strategize - what are the shops I die die must go to.
When you enter the building there is on your left a small recep with brochures. THE BROCHURE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND. Take a copy and check out the store listings.
If not, snap a pic of store listing on right of building with your smartphone for easy reference later on..


Source: Discover Hong Kong website

#2 - Fk! Why the lifts so slow.
They really are. With only 2 lifts servicing 28 floors, and 234235 eager shoppers wanting to get to different floors. it will take-a-long-time....
Take the lift to the top floor and work your way down via the staircase. It will save you precious time.

#3 - walau... what are all these strange shops. don't waste my time la.
Wrong, you are wrong. In a building with big brand names like Marni, Ferragamo, it is easy to ignore strange sounding names like Via Monda etc.. Give them a chance! Some of my greatest bargains are from these independent retailers that carry an assortment of familiar brand names.

#4- Go Lane Crawford
Whether or not you emerge with a bargain, depends purely on heng, suay (i.e. depends on your luck). But it is still a great outlet to just browse or window shop with its fantastic variety. Look, these two pairs of shoes were literally next to each other.



Probably one of the few places where you can find that many pairs of Jeremy Scott Adidas bear sneakers.

 
 
Gorgeous Charlotte Olympia shoes, going for around S$400. No, I didn't get it, cause despite my blog name, I do not have the spending ability of a tai tai
 
 

Okay, enough blabber. Let me post my spoils from Horizon Plaza!

The Winners!

Diesel dress, from the Diesel outlet for S$80. Not the most flattering shot. But let me assure you that it has the most gorgeous print, purple/pink gradation with fossil-ish design. Oh wait, I found a photo of diesel dress when worn (see right). Yes, I'm filthy, I did not wash the dress prior to wear.

Melissa red glitter heels, from one of the small outlet store for S$50. Squeal.

havaianas gold leopard preeen slippers, from Lane Crawford for S$15. I've forgotten how comfortable authentic havaianas are after countless pairs of fake ones from Phuket. For the first time, colour does not transfer from the slippers to soles of my feet. awesome~




The shit-maybe-I-should-have-thought-about-it-more.

 
J brand from Lane Crawford for S$70. This was the IT brand jeans for celebs and I felt so good finding this pair of S$70.
 
I was also having a Ines moment, thinking that I was channelling French chic -
 
 In reality, I think I probably looked more like this -
 
 
 
Okay, I'm super tired now. Shanghai Tang Private sale will have to go into the next post. Till then.... Keep your credit cards safe.

Horizon Plaza
Address:2 Lee Wing Street, Ap Lei Chau, Hong Kong Island
Tel:+852 2554 9089
Opening Hours: Not listed, though I understand that most shops close around 6-7pm.
How to get there: 1. MTR Diamond Hill Station, Exit C2. From the bus terminus, take bus 671. Alight at Horizon Plaza and walk to Lee Wing Street. 2. M590 from Exchange Square bus terminus in Central (near MTR Hong Kong Station, Exit D). Alight at South Horizon, then walk to Lee Wing Street
 
(Taitai-wannabe (TTW's) advice on how to get there - Take a cab. Seriously. If you are going to go shopping and walking around with big bags, cabs will make your life way easier. Cab rides from my hotel at causeway bay took around 20mins (non-peak hrs) and 40mins (peak hours), and averaged around S$20.
Still relatively cheap vs. the exorbitant fares (+24 hr peak surcharge, +erp, +etc etc) we pay in SG. 

Source: Hong Kong Tourism Board website, Discover Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment