Search This Blog

Tuesday 8 July 2014

Hong Kong- May 2014 #2 Much ado about shopping pt.2. How to survive ashanghai tang private sale.





THIS. was what derailed me from my grand plans to explore Kowloon. 

Heck, I wasn't even a shanghai tang fan before this. "Hmm... I will just take a quick look. I will be out before lunch", I thought. 
Then it started pouring, like seriously pouring (I was pretty sure that they might raise a typhoon warning ). So it was for my own safety that I stayed indoors, at the sale. 
I think KW bought my explanation. 

 
Check out the crowd. This place was filled with fierce taitais. 

There were no fitting rooms. Just racks and racks of clothes and a handful of mirrors littered around. Watch the taitais go apeshit battling over the mirrors.
I'm not kidding. I actually heard an Ang mo lady tell a PRC lady to F off , "you, go other mirror, go there", shooing her away. 

Take a deep breath. Go forth and conquer. May the odds ever be in your favour. 
Other than luck, the following tips might help too. 
* these tips are also applicable to all other crazy sales in SG e.g. Luxasia, l'oreal sale. Don't be shy, Admit it, I know you've been to one at least one of them.




1. Snap a pic of the discount chart! 
Important tip- you will not remember the gazillion different color coding later when you are frantically browsing through the racks. Snap a pic of the discount chart for easy reference. Trust me, my calculator app was on overdrive when I was assessing which pieces I should buy. 
P.s. This sales chart is obviously not meant for those who are colour blind. Check out the shades of black, brown, grey and silver. Kanasai, got difference meh?? 

2. Adjust your pace of shopping 
Tai tai shoppers are a different breed. In my younger days, I will approach my mango, Zara sales with chop chop efficiency. Tai tai shoppers have all the time in the world and they shop in groups. 
They will hog the mirror. 
They will converse. 
They will take their time. 
"How??" 
"This one ho~leng wor.."
"But I have something like that.. Like therreee.. You remember that blue one that I wore to xx, at yy's wedding" *starts recalling different pieces of clothing in her entire possession that may or may not resemble that item 

You need to be very zen. Ohmm. 

3. And you need to be Thick-skinned. 


Shoppers here are top notch. They apply the "grab now, think later approach". While standing in line for 1.5hrs to pay for their items. The furious discussions and consultations with friends take place. Heck, I was snapping pictures and having my own furious debates over whatsapp - 

Like this beautiful two tone jacquard jacket that was a bit tight around my she-hulk arms. Should I get it? 

Whatsapp conversations went like this
N- "It's gorgeous."
Me- "I've nowhere to wear this to. I'm not gg to travel for a while"
N-"you can wear it in air conditioned places"

In another chat
Kx-" don't waste money if it doesn't fit. It's a jacket, you will layer under, it will get too tight" 

(After a close up pix of the fabric was sent over)


Kx- "Eh quite pretty, I think you have to get it" 

I've got useless friends. 

I was still undecided. I raised the jacket up in the air, peering closely, checking for flaws, reasons for me to discard this piece, when I felt a tap on my shoulder. 

"Excuse me, are you taking this piece? If not, can I have it?"

That's when the jacket became insanely desirable. I shoved the jacket firmly back into the basket.

I realised that all the tai tais started barter trading in the queue. And I soon joined in the fun. The trick is to not sound too desperate when you try to swap items, see failed e.g. of lady trying to get my jacket.

Ok, on to the loot again!
Err.. I will not post the prices this round (in case kW reads this). Let's just say that the price ranges from the black to silver sticker. 









Not from shanghai tang sale, but I got this Kate spade bag for S$100. WTH! Forget about The great singapore sale.



No more shopping posts after this. I promise. 




No comments:

Post a Comment