Search This Blog

Friday 11 July 2014

Aunty in wonderland. Come, let TTW show you her top picks from Daiso.


 


"I will pop into Daiso and get that one item I need... says no one ever" - quote from my wise friend, N.

If you are located in a country with access to Daiso, you will probably agree with that statement. 
 
If you do not know what Daiso is, or have never been to one...

 
(sad face) Awwww....I'm so sorry to hear that. 

Daiso, in summary, is a Japanese chain of 100yen stores (in Singapore, its S$2) that sells everything under the sun. And I do mean, everything. They also bring in new items frequently to keep you coming back (like drug like that, really).
 

I visit Daiso at least once a week (which inn my opinion, is an acceptable frequency) to get my household necessities, snacks, stuff that I didn't know I need until I see them. There have been many "OMG, where have you been all my life" moments at Daiso.

 
I don't know how many items a typical Daiso store carry. But having been a brand manager in my previous life, all I can say is,  'Boy, I really don't want to be doing forecasting for their SKUs". Daiso Forecast Manager/ Operations team, I salute you. But hor, sorry, there are some lapses at times leh.

With a million and one items in their store, you might find yourself disappointed when you return for your favourite item, only to find it out of stock.... forever.....*echo trails * ever... ever... errr.



Case in point - my favourite dishwashing brush (bottom left pic) , purchased a year back. I am down to my last pack of replacement brush heads. After I'm done with them, I will be left with the handle (bottom right). Then how? Daiso, you tell me how? What am I supposed to do with a stick? Play fetch with my cat is it?




Did you mention me? Do I look like I can be arsed to play fetch with you? 

But I digress...
The point I was trying to make - always, always stock up when you find something you like.

Back to TTW's list of most awesomest Daiso items.
 

Entering the danger zone.
 
1) Microwaveable instant rice

This belongs to the ''OMG where have you been all my life category". 2 minutes in the microwave and voilĂ , perfect Japanese rice.
I can sense the health nuts going ballistic upon reading this. Yes, I know, I know... I will probably get cancer from eating this at some point. (On my deathbed - Doctor looking at the clipboard, shaking his head grimly "it is not looking good. It is probably due to all the instant rice she has consumed over the years").
But till then, this item will be a mainstay in my kitchen.
It took me a long time to try this item, cause I thought it looked kinda dodgy in the past. After consuming many packs of this, I'm happy to report that there are no side effects. yet.
 
 
 P.s. Meidi-ya sells this same brand of instant rice at twice the price. yes, score!! Sorry, the auntie in me needs to celebrate.
 
 
1) Cotton Pads -
 
Daiso stocks a good selection of cotton pads. Don't know which one to get? Fret not, TTW is here. I've evaluated each brand of cotton pad by two criteria, 1) country of origin (made in Japan still holds a premium over the made in China ones), 2) quantity. So yeah, go with the Good Puff. It is made in Japan and has 160 puffs in total, that is 10 more than the rest of the brands, which typically contains only 150 pieces. Do I spend too much time in Daiso? Hell yeah.





3) Cotton Buds - Shower type
 
Not just any regular normal cotton buds, mind you. It is the cotton buds - shower type . I think other Daiso shoppers have latched on to this fantastic cotton buds, cause it was totally out of stock in my last visit. This disappears really fast from the shelves. Luckily, I am a seasoned Daiso shopper (remember advice) and I've got 3 of these at home *smug smile*.  
 
You know how you get out of the shower and the feeling of wet ear canals is just ewww... With a normal cotton ear bud, you kinda have to wiggle it about and even then, it seems as though your ears are still as well as ever? That feeling is kinda meh (or is it just me).
The shower cotton bud has extra thick and bouncy tips. so using them after shower is super shiok.
 
It is extremely challenging to describe shiok to a non-Singaporean, but I think Calvin does a pretty good job in this strip -
 
(Bonus Learn Singlish section for my non-Singaporean readers ) - Calvin, kenna a mosquito bite. It was very itchy, but he tahan and never scratch. But then hor, he tahan until buay tahan anymore. He scratched and scratched and scratched. It felt so damn shiok.
 


I'm so enamoured with this cotton bud that I did a picture comparison of it with a regular cotton bud.
 

4) This particular snack

Japanese snacks are da bomb. I've no idea what the following snack is called, but it has a picture of a fake doraemon like creature on it and it is so gooood.
I used to travel to Tokyo for work, and I'd cart home cartons and cartons of it from the Japanese convenience stores. Although in Tokyo, they come in mini circular hollow bars instead of rings and cost like 20cts per bar. The bars still taste better, but heck, I'm not complaining.
The mentaiko flavour is my go-to flavour. mmmmm...




So this concludes the first instalment of TTW's recommendation of Daiso must haves. You can be assured that there will be a part 2 to this.

Now, for the Daiso misses.

This peeler.

You suck. According to the small image on the cardboard backer, the peeler works like a ''mini vegetable sharpener'' and is suppose to give you nice long strips.
Well, It broke my cucumber into half.


 This belongs to your recycling bin.

 

This pie plate

 

This also belongs to your recycling bin. But please remember to separate your recyclables!

Or anything from this range for that matter. I washed and left it on the drainer to dry. It rusted overnight. I didn't even know that it was possible for something to rust that fast. Then again, science is not my strong suit.

And concluding this post with the  Daiso - WTF?
 
Ah... what would a Daiso experience be without finding a new wtf-is-this item.
 
This week's honour goes to this Egg Hole Puncher.
(WTF? you say.. my sentiments exactly.)
 
 
The picture is slightly blur. But the description basically says
"This item creates a small hole that makes it simple to peel eggs. Comes with magnet that helps a neat and clean kitchen"
 
And just how does the small hole make it simple for you to peel the egg?

(If we were in a Korean drama, there will be a Korean ahjumma yelling "EOTTEOHKE!!!!???"  right now).
source: dramabeans, screenshot from my fave k-drama, city hunter. Actually, I only liked it for Lee Min Ho.
Can you feel her anguish?
 
I have no idea. It remains as one of life's mysteries.
Until I buy and try it, that is.
 
No, but I'm a calm and sensible shopper. I have incredible self restraint.
 
This concludes an edition of Daiso shopping with tai tai wannabe. Although, I'm aware that no self respecting tai tai will be caught dead shopping in Daiso.
 
Sigh. Daiso- 1, Tai tai- 0

 

2 comments:

  1. I think they have this soft toy thing that when u hang at the door, humbles stray cats. Go find! Life changing maybe

    ReplyDelete
  2. The egg hole puncher will be good during Easter when you're trying to clear the egg whites and yolks. Martha Stewart said so.

    ReplyDelete